Saturday, June 22, 2013

Spicy Mango Guacamole

Summer has officially arrived, and I thought I would share with you one of my favorite recipes that is perfect for summertime. I've been told I make a mean guacamole. I thought I would change up my recipe and add a little sweet to my spicy guac. Here's how I did it:


Ingredients:
  • 3 ripe Hass avocados (avocados will be a bright green and darken to almost a black color when ripened and will be soft to the touch)
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1 small red onion, diced
  • 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced 
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. red cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. cumin
  • 1 lime juiced, use about 1tbs. (a lemon will work too!)

Throw it Together Like This:

Grab a medium to large size bowl to make your guac in. The photo above is a single serving of the guac. You'll end up with lots more guac than this! First, scoop out the avocado into your bowl and pour  on your fresh squeezed lemon juice or lime juice (this is to keep the avocado from becoming a disgusting mucky brown color and once it turns this color no one will want to eat it) Mash up your avocados. I found that a potato masher gets the job done. Sprinkle in your spices and sea salt and mix it up. Finally, add in your diced up tomatoes, red onion, mango, stir and let sit for about an hour at room temperature to let the flavors meld. Keep bowl covered tightly with plastic wrap to keep it's green color. Serve with some tortilla chips. I like to serve mine with blue corn chips. 

Bon appétit! or more appropriately in Spanish, ¡buen provecho

xoxo,

Julia 

2 comments:

  1. this sounds great! i could eat guac at every meal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nicole! It's a good combo of spicy and sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete